Thursday 18 July 2013

Johnny Manziel AJ McCarron won't speak on Johnny Manziel's behalf


AJ McCarron won't speak on Johnny Manziel's behalf:




Paul Myerberg and Laken Litman, USA TODAY Sports




Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron certainly knew the questions were coming.


He and Johnny Manziel are friends, after all.

The two were co-counselors at last week's Manning Passing Academy in Thibodaux, La., where Manziel went home a day early after oversleeping.

McCarron accepts the responsibility that comes with his high-profile position, though that he's spent the last two years under   the spotlight, that does not qualify him to speak on Manziel's                           (Photo: Marvin Gentry, USA TODAY Sports)  behalf, he told reporters at Thursday's SEC media days.



"I can't answer on Johnny Manziel's part," McCarron said after being pressed about the Texas A&M quarterback. "My name is AJ. Everything that has to do with him, he's his own man. I'm not going to speak on another man's business. That's how I was raised. If it don't have nothing to do with you, don't speak on it."

"I know how I handle myself out in public, how I carry myself in front of people. That's what I'm worried about, trying to be the best player and the best person off the field that I can be for my family and the University of Alabama. I never want to disrespect them in any way."



McCarron, one of three Alabama players to attend this week's media events, said his role as the Crimson Tide's starting quarterback prevents him from being "a normal 22-year-old kid." He added, "But not every 22-year-old is doing what I'm doing, either."

Being a two-time national champion, a Heisman contender and the boyfriend of Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Katherine Webb, McCarron is in the public eye, too, but he's never been accused of shenanigans.

"I know how to handle myself out in public, how to carry myself in front of people," he said. "That's what I'm worried about."

On Wednesday, Manziel told reporters he wasn't planning on changing his lifestyle despite a tumultuous offseason. "I'm still a sophomore in college," Manziel said. "I'm still going to do things that everybody in college does, and I'm going to continue to enjoy my life. Hopefully, people don't hold me to a higher standard than that."

McCarron, a two-time national champion and Heisman Trophy contender, said he feels "blessed" to have tasted such success heading into his final season.

"I never thought I'd be here, he said. "I was always doubted my whole time growing up, so to be in the situation I'm in — I'm blessed. It's an honor to be in this situation."

As a senior and one of the Crimson Tide's leaders, McCarron feels a responsibility to maintain the program's nearly unprecedented level of accomplishment during the last four seasons. Alabama has won three national championships in four years, becoming only the third program in college football's modern era to do so.

He and senior linebacker C.J. Mosley have preached purpose to their teammates during offseason conditioning, McCarron said.

"Everybody goes through their era in college football. Florida went through it. Miami Hurricanes back in the day. Florida State, USC. The list goes on. Everybody's time kind of falls off. Eras end after two or three years. Our thing was, why does it have to end?"

Manziel's media day session Wednesday was pure chaos. He was bounced around from room to room and asked variations of the same questions relating to the academy incident. He spoke about being in the spotlight, and how it makes him feel like Justin Bieber.

"I'm still a sophomore in college," he said. "I'm still going to do things that everybody in college does, and I'm going to continue to enjoy my life. Hopefully, people don't hold me to a higher standard than that."

McCarron was asked about flying under the radar and not receiving as much attention as Manziel.

"I don't need the spotlight," he said. "I'm just trying to represent everybody in a good way."

No comments:

Post a Comment